My favourite things about chemistry:
3. Vanillin TLC stain, and still being able to smell it in your hair hours after completing the column. (seriously, one of the most pleasantly pervasive chemistry smells around)
4. Platinum – beautiful, and extremely useful (cancer therapy, catalysis…).
5. Adding amine ligands to copper sulfate solution – the colour changes are stunning.
6. NMR – elegant characterisation technique, particularly some of the 2D sequences.
7. Zeolite structures – when drawn well, you could imagine them going on forever.
This is ferrierite. Again, beautiful symmetrical structure.
8. Glowy things! For example: tetrakis((μ-3–Iodo)-pyridine-copper(I))
This tetrameric copper complex (pyridine and a Cu-I cage) has wonderful temperature dependent luminescence. We make it in our second year lab course – golden under uv light at room temperature, purple when cooled in liquid nitrogen.
9. The periodic table – what else would I put on my wall?
10. Polymers- forget wibbly wobbly timey wimey stuff, wibbly wobbly gooey stuff is the way forward!
As I don’t think he’s done a meme before, I’ll tag Rob Jackson!